Browse photographs, letters and diaries from some wilderness pioneers.
Frederick Smithies (1885-1979)
Conservationaist, bushwalker, wilderness explorer, photographer.
Smithies explored the rugged West Coast, Frenchmans Cap, the Florentine and Rasselas Valley. He walked from Queestown to Cradle Mountain.
John Barra Thwaites (Jack Thwaites 1902-1986)
Conservationist, founding member of the Hobart Bushwalking Club, Youth Hostels Association and secretary of the Scenary Preservation Board. He had a keen interest in photography.
Find out more about Tasmania’s wilderness
- Explore the Jack Thwaites Bush diaries website
- Read more about Frederick Smithies
- Great Tasmanian bushwalks
- Find single and multi-day wilderness tours
- Join your local walking or orienteering club
- Discover Geocaching – explore Tasmania and find local treasure hunts using your mobile phone
- Search the library resources for more on the Tasmanian wilderness, Jack Thwaites and Frederick Smithies